1. Soak tangerine peel; then shred fine.
2. Place red beans, tangerine peel and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until soft (about 1 hour).
3. Transfer beans and their cooking water to a blender and blend at high speed. Then put in a cheesecloth square and squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible. Reserve the mash, discarding the liquid.
4. Bring sugar and remaining water to a boil. Then cook, stirring, over medium heat until the mixture spins a thin thread when a small amount is dropped from the tip of a spoon (3 to 4 minutes).
5. Stir in mash and lard. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and pudding-like.
known as red bean flour). Omit steps 2 and 3. Add this powder along with the tangerine peel at the end of step 4 and stir in to dissolve. Then add the lard and cook as in step 5.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, Isbn 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's Mm Recipe Archive, http://www. Erols. Com/hosey.