by Abby Mandel
1. Rub oil on chickens inside and out.
2. Combine seasoning salt and lemon pepper in small bowl and use to season chickens inside and out. (chickens may be prepared to this point several hours ahead or overnight and refrigerated. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before roasting).
3. Place chickens breast side down on rack in shallow roasting pan. Fill cavity of each chicken with half of shallots and half of tarragon. Tuck wings under and the legs together.
4. Roast chickens at 425 degrees until lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Insert large kitchen fork into each chicken cavity and turn breast side up.
5. Return to oven and roast until darkly browned and meat thermometer inserted into innermost part of thigh registers 165 degrees, about 30 minutes.
6. Transfer chickens to platter and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
7. Chickens may be served warm, room temperature, or chilled.
431 calories; 183 mg sodium; 130 mg cholesterol; 31 grams fat; 3 grams carbohydrates; 33 grams protein; 0.25 gram fiber.