1. Cut out and discard hard center core of cabbage.
2. Remove large outside leaves; reserve.
3. Working from the bottom, use a sharp paring knife to hollow out cabbage, leaving a shell about 1 1/2" thick.
4. Place cabbage shell and leaves in a large bowl; add boiling water to cover; let stand 10 minutes. Drain.
5. Thoroughly combine beef, onion, pepper, eggs, rice and seasonings.
6. Fill cabbage shell, mounding mixture on top.
7. Dot with butter.
8. Press softened outside leaves around stuffed cabbage shell.
9. Tie with soft cord or secure with toothpicks to hold shape.
10. Place in Dutch oven. Combine remaining ingredients; pour around cabbage. Cover.
11. Bake at 325 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
12. Makes 6 servings.