1. Peel and julienne raw beets to yield 4 cups. Peel and cube potatoes to yield 2 1/2 cups. Finely chop cabbege to yield 6 cups.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add beets and carrot. Saute, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in tomato paste. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. In a large stock pot, bring chicken stock to a boil over high heat. Add potato and cook for 3 minutes. Add cabbage and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
6. Add reserved beet-tomato paste mixture, green pepper, sugar, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from heat. Stir in garlic and dill. Serve hot.
was originally from Roza's grandfather, who cooked for Czar Nicholas Ii.