1. Cream the egg yolks and sugar together in a mixing bowl until thick and light.
2. Combine the milk and cream in a 2-quart microwave-safe casserole. Cut the
vanilla beans in half lengthwise, and scrape the seeds into the bowl. Add the
beans, extract, and salt. Cook, uncovered, at full power (650 to 700 watts) for 3 minutes.
3. Remove the vanilla beans. With a mixer running on low speed, slowly add the
milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture, stirring until smooth. Return the mixture to the casserole.
4. Whisking once a minute, cook until the custard is thick and coats the back
of a spoon, 3 1/2 minutes. Do not overcook it.
5. Allow the custard to cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate it, loosely
covered, until chilled, a minimum of 3 hours.
6. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Makes