1. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. Drain canned abalone, reserving liquid. Combine abalone liquid with enough cold stock or water to make six cups.
3. Cut mushrooms, abalone, ham and pork all in strips, but keep them separate. Mince ginger root.
4. Combine cornstarch, soy sauce and sherry. Add to pork and toss to coat. Let stand a few minutes.
5. Heat oil. Add salt and ginger and stir-fry a few times. Add pork and stir-fry until it loses pinkness. Remove from pan.
6. Meanwhile bring abalone-stock mixture slowly to a boil. Add mushrooms and stir-fried pork. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
7. Add abalone, ham strips, pepper and remaining salt. Cook only to heat through, about 2 minutes. (Don't overcook abalone; it will toughen.)
8. Garnish with a poached egg.
in step 6 after mushrooms have simmered 8 minutes, and cook only to heat through.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, Isbn 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's Mm Recipe Archive, http://www. Erols. Com/hosey.