(1) Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces. Discard the hard stem pieces, but
(2) Steam the cut broccoli for about 5-8 minutes, until just bright green
(3) In a 10-inch enameled (non-metal) skillet, heat 6 oz of butter until
(4) Cover, and cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally with a
(5) Mash the broccoli right in the skillet until no large pieces remain.
(6) While broccoli is cooking, add beaten egg yolk to 2 cups of milk.
(7) Put 3 Tbsp butter into a 2-3 quart saucepan. Use enamel or glass for
(8) Empty the mashed broccoli mixture into the sau- cepan. Stir until
(9) Turn the heat down lower and simmer for about 5 more minutes, stirring
Notes This recipe may be doubled, halved or whatever without penalty. Vary
are especially nice. Cook them in the same way as you did the broccoli. Use any leftover butter on the hard French finger rolls.