1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Dip each fish fillet in the cornmeal and dust off excess.
2. In an oven-proof saute pan large enough to hold the fillets without crowding, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the snapper and saute for 1 minute. Turn fillet over; then transfer the pan to the oven, and bake the fish for 4 to 5 minutes. The fish should then be opaque, not translucent.
3. While the fish is baking, in a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sweat the shallots and when translucent, add the vinegar. Let reduce until almost dry. Add the tequila and let reduce by half. Stir in the stock, orange juice concentrate and mangoes. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Pour into blender and process until very smooth. Add the chives and adjust the seasoning.
5. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of sauce onto each dinner plate and set the cooked fish in the center. For a beautiful presentation, decorate with diced mango, or with purple basil and chives.
Chicago Tribune Magazine, 12/14/97 Adapted from "Incredible Cuisine"