1. Set a large pot of lightly salted water to boil.
2. Grate zest from lemon and reserve. Cut lemon in half. Squeeze juice from one lemon half into pot of water. Add 1/3 of the minced garlic to pot.
3. When water comes to a boil, add artichokes. Cover and cook for 15 to 18 minutes or until artichokes are barely tender. Test for doneness by pulling a leaf from an artichoke. If it comes off easily, it's ready. Drain artichokes.
4. While artichokes are cooking, place bread in a bowl and cover with hot water. When bread is cool enough to handle, place it in a colander and press out as much water as possible.
5. Place drained bread in a bowl. Add lemon zest, juice from remaining lemon half, remaining minced garlic, capers, oil, parsley, and egg. Stir to mix thoroughly. Taste for seasonings.
6. Preheat oven to 350 F. When artichokes are cool enough to handle, pull out the center leaves of each one to create a cavity for stuffing. Divide stuffing evenly among the cavities.
7. Arrange stuffed artichokes upright in a glass baking dish. Pour 1 cup of hot water around, but not over, the artichokes. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until stuffing is heated through and leaves are tender to the bite.
Serve hot or chilled.