1. Cook the macaroni for 7 minutes in boiling salted water to which a few drops of oil have been added. Drain well.
2. Butter an ovenproof dish and prepare the sauce.
3. Mix the macaroni with the sauce and pour into the dish.
4. Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese mixed with fresh bread crumbs.
5. Arrange the bacon slices on top of the macaroni alternately with tomato slices. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees or until bacon is done.
1. Pour milk into a saucepan. Add the onion cut into quarters with 2 slices of carrot, bay leaf, peppercorns, mace and parsley stalk.
2. Cover and allow to heat on low heat without boiling for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat an allow to infuse for an additional 10 minutes, covered.
3. Make a roux (a blend of butter and four) by melting the butter in a saucepan. Do not allow the butter to brown. Add the flour and stir well over a medium heat.
4. Gradually add the strained milk and stir briskly or whisk until a smooth creamy sauce is made, season to taste.
5. Mix the egg yolks with the cream and add a little of the warmed sauce to it to temper the yolks and cream before incorporating back into the sauce.
6. Lastly, fold in the grated parmesan cheese.