1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Thickly grease 9 muffin c or use paper liners.
2. Melt the butter and set aside.
3. In à mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and paprika.
4. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, melted butter, and thyme; whisk to blend.
5. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened; do not mix until smooth. Mixture should be lumpy.
6. Place à heaped spoonful of batter into prepared c. Drop à few pieces of cheese over each, then top with another spoonful of batter. For even baking, half-fill any empty muffin c with water.
7. Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 mins. Let stand 5 mins before unmolding onto à rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The Great American Baking Book - Isbn 0-8317-3971-1